Sonntag, 8. Juni 2008

Euro cup

Today I went for a lovely little walk around a lovely little lake in a lovely little nearby outskirt of Zürich. I went to the train station to do some food shopping and realized that, thanks to the Euro-Cup and our plethora of visitors, the small supermarket on the way home is open on Sundays this month.
Last night we needed to get to the Kulturmart really early in order to get places for the free public-viewing. As I was walking to the Theater, I realised that the people that I was seeing through restaurant and bar windows were probably settled where they would remain for the first Swiss games. Anyone strolling in the street was pretty much guaranteed not to be watching the game that night, unless it was in the comfort of their own home.
This afternoon, I was walking in my neighborhood and saw, and heard, that most Swiss sports fans were yet again cloistered away. This time it was far earlier and this time it had nothing to do with the ill-fated Frei or his teammates. The shouts issuing from my neighbors windows were too early to have anything to do with the soccer match tonight in Austria. It was Roger Federer's loss in the French Open that left these typically nature-loving natives indoors this afternoon.
Will sporting events this summer lead to ill health in Switzerland?
Stay tuned to find out.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen