Samstag, 14. November 2009

any day now, there will be fist-shaking

At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old lady, I wish that there was less spitting. There is a 60 Franc fine for it, but I don't think that it's strictly enforced, because in front of any bus bench or spot where teen aged boys are hanging out, the ground is slick with loogies.
I don't think that I'm a total stick-in-the-mud. I have a modicum of understanding. I side step vomit deftly on weekend mornings and shake my head "I've been there"-style. My real beef is the double-standard. Swiss children are being told not to kiss one another, in the traditional way of greeting, yet spitting goes unnoticed.
I agree that children should always be taught to wash their hands, not obsessively or excessively, but after using the toilet or more often when they're sick. I even know how to say "wash your hands" in Mandarin, thanks to the tri-lingual Kindergarten I worked at last year. But I love the kissing. I love friendly greetings. I love the Swiss culture of needing a half-hour to say hello or goodbye.
So here is what I think should happen: no more sidewalk-spitting, normal amount of kissing and good ol' fashioned hand-washing and sneezing in the elbow. 60 Francs may seem like a lot of money, but it helped with the plague.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen